Wednesday 27 February 2013

[KM] Keep_Mailing ENGLISH LANGUAGE



Professor Ernest Brennecke of Columbia University is credited with inventing a sentence that can be made to have eight different meanings by placing ONE WORD in all possible positions in the sentence: "I hit him in the eye yesterday."


1.  ONLY I hit him in the eye yesterday. (No one else did.)
2.  I ONLY hit him in the eye yesterday. (Did not slap him.)
3.  I hit ONLY him in the eye yesterday. (I did not hit others.)
4.  I hit him ONLY in the eye yesterday. (I did not hit outside the eye.)
5.  I hit him in ONLY the eye yesterday. (Not other organs.)
6.  I hit him in the ONLY eye yesterday. (He doesn't have another eye..)
7.  I hit him in the eye ONLY yesterday. (Not today.)
8.  I hit him in the eye yesterday ONLY. (Did not wait for today.)

This is why it is important to be precise!
 



--
Thank& Regards ,

--
--
To post to this group, send email to keep_mailing@googlegroups.com
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "keep_mailing" group.
To post to this group, send email to keep_mailing@googlegroups.com.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment